The Balancing Barn is available for May bank holiday, 30 May and from 3 June - see Special Offers
For other dates in 2016, check availability here.
The Balancing Barn accommodates up to 8 people:
- 4 double bedrooms, (bedrooms 1 + 4 can be made up as twins), all with ensuite facilities. Two of the bedrooms (bedrooms 1 & 2) have an in-bedroom bath as well as an ensuite bathroom.
- the living space occupies the ground floor on a level surface with no door thresholds
The interior has been fitted out with great imagination by the Dutch designer Jurgen Bey. On the walls and floor coverings, paintings by Constable and Gainsborough (both local artists) have been sampled and manipulated, and in places resemble the geometry of works by Mondrian. Jurgen Bey has made some bespoke items of furniture for the house, and has put together a collection of some of the most beautiful chairs, tables, sofas and lamps by leading contemporary Dutch designers.
The following are provided for your holiday:
- Miele and Siemens kitchen appliances - oven, combination microwave oven, induction hob, dishwasher, fridge, fridge freezer.
- David Mellor kitchen equipment - including DM kitchen knives, chopping boards, sieves and colanders, graters, whisks, tongs, cooking utensils, a range of DM saucepans (suitable for the induction hob), food blender, scales, mixing bowls, a rolling pin and pastry brush, glassware (tumblers, wine glasses, champagne flutes), DM cutlery (including children's cutlery), a tea pot, cafetiere and mugs.
- Miele washing machine and condenser dryer (plus an iron, ironing board and airer, but please bring detergent).
- REN skincare individual shampoo, bath & shower gel and hand soap.
- Peter Reed high quality Egyptian cotton bed linen.
- Luxurious hand towels and bath towels.
- Luxury hypo-allergenic pillows and duvets (to ensure that everyone, including those with allergies, have a comfortable stay; but please note we do not have the storage space to also provide feather duvets and pillows).
- A few food items to get you started in the kitchen: tea bags, coffee, semi-skimmed milk, bread, salted butter and olive oil.
- Basic household items: bin bags, washing up liquid, kitchen roll, hand-wash, dishwasher tablets, foil and loo paper.
- A library of books to keep the most avid reader happy, from local travel guides, to architecture and philosophy.
- Television and DVD player. Please note that due to its location, The Balancing Barn does not have television reception. However, we have provided a television and DVD player for your use (so do bring DVDs to play).
- Wi Fi internet connection (which you can access if you bring a laptop, but please note that, due to its location and for reasons beyond our control, internet access can be intermittent).
- Arrival/ Departure: you will be sent detailed arrival information before your stay. Arrival is after 4pm and departure by 10 am.
- Underfloor heating throughout the house; plus starter fuel log (if you wish to use the fire in the living room).
What's not provided:Departure the next day is before 1
- Beach towels.
- Landline telephone. Please note that, due to its location and for reasons beyond our control, mobile reception can be intermittent.
- High chair and travel cot (please note that due to the design of the bedrooms, only one infant can be accommodated, in twin bedroom 4).
- Additional logs for the fire (but these can be bought locally if desired).
- We are sorry but (due to their locations) we do not accept dogs at The Balancing Barn or The Long House.
- However, one well-behaved dog (who respects and loves modern architecture) is welcome at The Dune House and The Shingle House, both situated on beaches, for an additional charge of £20 per booking.